Emco Wheaton is the consolidation of two businesses, one being Wheaton Petroleum Valves which was founded in 1892 in Newark, New Jersey by A.W. Wheaton and the other being The Empire Manufacturing Company which was founded in London, Canada in 1903. On incorporation in 1906, this became a limited company, called Empire Brass Manufacturing Co. Ltd and then Emco Brass (Emco). In 1927, Emco entered into an exclusive licensee arrangement with Wheaton, creating "Emco Wheaton" for the first time.
In 1949, Emco Brass (UK) Limited was founded in Croydon, near London. This plant manufactured Wheaton petroleum valves under license. This was the first company to be established outside of North America. The plant in Croydon soon proved to be too small and the company relocated to the current site in Margate, Kent in 1952.